Visit to Carrickmacross Workhouse on Saturday, 9th May
* Her Excellency, Dr. Ruth Adler, Australian Ambassador to Ireland
* Dr. Perry McIntyre, Chair of Sydney’s Great Irish Famine Commemoration Committee
* Dr. Richard Reid, Sydney’s Great Irish Famine Commemoration Committee
* Michael and Olivia Blanch, Founders of the Committee for the Commemoration of Irish Famine Victims
* Pete St. John, singer-songwriter of ‘The Fields of Athenry’ and member of the Committee for the Commemoration of Irish Famine Victims
* Evelyn Conlon, Co. Monaghan author of ‘Not the Same Sky’, a novel based on girls sent to Australia in 1849
* Shirley Clerkin, Heritage Officer with Monaghan County Council
* Michael and Eileen Munnelly, from ‘Irish Lives Remembered’ Genealogy Magazine
Dear Dr. Adler and friends
Thank you all again for your interest in visiting us this Saturday afternoon, 9th May, and we have now finalised our itinerary – kindly note that we aim to have refreshments in a local hotel at 4.30pm, as Ambassador Adler is scheduled to depart at 5pm.
3pm: Arrival time and introductions around the table.
3.15pm-3.30pm: Presentations by Dr. Perry McIntyre and Dr. Richard Reid from Sydney’s Great Irish Famine Commemoration Committee.
3.30pm-3.45pm: Reading by Evelyn Conlon, author of ‘Not the Same Sky’.
3.45pm-4pm: Update on fundraising progress to purchase and save 6-acre Workhouse site and Mass Famine Graves – including a recent visit by singer-songwriter, Sting, whose 3rd great grandmother died in the Workhouse in 1881.
4pm-4.15pm: Presentation by the Committee for Commemoration of Irish Famine Victims (CCIFV) of bonnets created in memory of the 19 girls from our Workhouse that sailed to Australia on the John Knox in 1849.
4.30pm: Refreshments in local hotel, then departure.
If ye have any queries regarding the afternoon, please just let us know.
We look forward to seeing old friends and meeting some new ones!
Yvonne & co.
T: 042 966 4540
Built in 1841, Carrickmacross Workhouse has been restored by Farney Community Development Group Ltd. into a Community Resource, Training and Heritage Centre.
Honorary Patron of Carrickmacross Workhouse: Australian Ambassador to Ireland, Her Excellency, Dr. Ruth Adler.
Farney Community Development Group Ltd. is a Company Limited by Guarantee with Charitable Status.
Registered as a Company in Dublin, Ireland.
Registered Office: Carrickmacross Workhouse, Shercock Road, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan, Ireland.
Company Registration Number: 230017
Charitable Status (CHY) Number: 13031