The Great Famine of Ireland is memorialized in many locations throughout Ireland, especially in those regions that suffered the greatest losses, and also in cities overseas with large populations descended from Irish immigrants.
- Strokestown Park Famine Museum
- Customs House Quays, Dublin. Painfully thin sculptural figures, by artist Rowan Gillespie, stand as if walking towards the emigration ships on the Dublin Quayside.
- St Stephen’s Green, Dublin. “Famine”, a sculpture by Edward Delaney.
- Limerick, The ‘Broken Heart’ Famine memorial, Lower Mallow Street. The sculpture is a fountain in the shape of a broken heart in memory of the forced emigration of several thousands who fled to America and beyond from nearby Steamboat Quay. Also in Limerick city, the Pauper’s Graveyard (now known as St Brigid’s cemetery) in Killeely. Here a large timber cross was erected on the site of this mass graveyard. There are no headstones.
- Murrisk, County Mayo. This sculpture of a famine ship, near the foot of Croagh Patrick, depicts the refugees it carries as dead souls hanging from the sides.
- Clones, County Monaghan Famine Graveyard, Clones will host the National Famine Commemoration for 2011 with President Mary McAleese and other representatives from 30 Countries also taking part.
- Donaghmore Famine Museum – set in Donaghmore Workhouse in County Laois.
- Doolough Tragedy, County Mayo. A memorial commemorates famine victims who walked from Louisburgh along the mountain road to Delphi Lodge to seek relief from the Poor Board who were meeting there. Returning after their request was refused, many of them died at this point. This became known as the Doolough Tragedy.
- Doagh Island, Inishowen, County Donegal. Doagh Visitor Centre and Famine Museum has exhibits and memorial on the effects of the famine in Inishowen, Donegal. 
- Ennistymon, County Clare. This was the first memorial in Ireland to honour those who suffered and were lost during the Great Famine. It is erected across the road from Ennistymon Hospital, built on the grounds of the local workhouse where an estimated 20,000 Irish died and a mass graveyard for children who perished and were buried without coffins.
- Sligo, County Sligo, has three memorial sculptures erected by the Sligo Famine Commemoration Committee. One is at the quayside, of a family comforting each other, where 30,000 people emigrated between 1847 and 1851. The other two are the gates of a famine graveyard and of a tree (called Faoin Sceach) in the grounds of the graveyard, where approximately 2,000 famine victims are buried.
- Newcastle West, County Limerick, The Famine Graveyard is at the rear of modern day St. Ita’s Hospital. Hundreds of people who died during the famine are buried there in unmarked graves. The cemetery is marked by a plain old cross. Close by stands the Workhouse.
- Kilkenny in the McDonagh Junction complex. The memorial is marked by a small garden, where many bodies were found during an excavation.
- Ballingarry Famine Warhouse 1848. Widow McCormack’s house, the site of the 1848 rebellion, has now been converted into a museum.
- Thurles Famine Museum occupies St. Mary’s church in Thurles. St. Mary’s church is built on the site of another pre-reformation church dating to the 12th century. This site includes both war and Irish Famine memorials.
- Liverpool, England. A memorial is in the grounds of St Luke‘s Church on Leece Street, itself a memorial to the victims of the Blitz. It recalls that from 1849–1852 1,241,410 Irish immigrants arrived in the city and that from Liverpool they dispersed to locations around the world. Many died despite the help they received within the city, some 7000 in the city perished within one year. There is also a plaque on the gates to Clarence Dock. Unveiled in 2000, the plaque inscription reads in Gaelic and English: “Through these gates passed most of the 1,300,000 Irish migrants who fled from the Great Famine and ‘took the ship’ to Liverpool in the years 1845–52” The Maritime Museum, Albert Dock, Liverpool has an exhibition regarding the Irish Migration, showing models of ships, documentation and other facts on Liverpool’s history.
- Cardiff, Wales. A Celtic Cross made of Irish limestone on a base of Welsh stone stands in the city’s Cathays Cemetery. The cross was unveiled in 1999 as the high point in the work of the Wales Famine Forum, remembering the 150th Anniversary of the famine. The memorial is dedicated to every person of Irish origin, without distinction on grounds of class, politics, allegiance or religious belief, who has died in Wales.
- Carfin, Motherwell, North Lanarkshire. A Celtic Cross memorial unveiled by then Taoiseach Bertie Ahern in the early 21st century.
- In 2009, and again in 2010, to mark National Famine Memorial Day, Celtic FC wear a commemorative emblem on their strips, which consists if a Celtic cross, and a four leaf clover motif. This reflects the fact that Celtic themselves were founded by, and in order to support, the Irish immigrant community in the east end of Glasgow, many of who had fled Ireland for Glasgow following the famine.
- In Boston, Massachusetts, a bronze statue located at the corner of Washington and School Streets on the Freedom Trail depicts a starving woman, looking up to the heavens as if to ask “Why?”, while her children cling to her. A second sculpture shows the figures hopeful as they land in Boston.
- Buffalo, New York has a stone memorial on its waterfront.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts has a memorial to the famine on its Common.
- Chicago, Illinois has a Famine Memorial at Chicago Gaelic Park.
- Cleveland, Ohio A 12-foot-high (3.7 m) stone Celtic cross, located on the east bank of the Cuyahoga River.
- In Fairfield, Connecticut a memorial to the Famine victims stands in the chapel of Fairfield University.
- In Hamden, Connecticut, a collection of art and literature from the Great Famine is on display in the Lender Family Special Collection Room of the Arnold Bernhard Library at Quinnipiac University.
- Irish Hills, Michigan[dead link] – The Ancient Order of Hibernian’s An Gorta Mor Memorial is located on the grounds of St. Joseph’s Shrine in the Irish Hills district of Lenawee County, Michigan. There are thirty-two black stones as the platform, one for each county. The grounds are surrounded with a stone wall. The Lintel is a step from Penrose Quay in Cork Harbour. The project was the result of several years of fundraising by the Ancient Order of Hibernians in Lenewee County. It was dedicated in 2004 by AOH Divisional President, Patrick Maguire, and many political and Irish figures from around the state of Michigan.
- Keansburg, NJ has a Hunger Memorial in Friendship Park on Main Street.
- New York, New York has the Irish Hunger Memorial which looks like a sloping hillside with low stone walls and a roofless cabin on one side and a polished wall with lit (or white) lines on the other three sides. The memorial is in Battery Park City, a short walk west from the World Trade Center site. See . Another memorial exists in V.E. Macy Park in Ardsley, New York about 32 km north of Manhattan.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has a famine memorial at Front and Chestnut Streets, near Penn’s Landing. The large bronze sculpture features numerous figures arranged in clusters or vignettes, with the east end depicting the depths of the misery of starvation. The work was dedicated on October 25, 2003 on a 1.75-acre (7,100 m2) site covering I-95 and overlooking the Delaware River. This is a fitting location because many Irish disembarked ships and entered Philadelphia—and the nation—near this area.
- Phoenix, Arizona has a famine memorial in the form of a dolmen at the Irish Cultural Center.
- Portland, Oregon commissioned a large Celtic cross to be carved in Donegal, Ireland, and positioned on a prominent hill in the city in 2008, with Irish President Mary McAleese present at the inauguration.
- Providence, RI has an Irish Famine Memorial along the Riverway, dedicated on November 17, 2007. Sculupture and a commemorative wall are the key elements of an impressive memorial that has educated and beautified the Providence River Walk location. A bronze statue of three Irish figures anchors one end of the site, with a walkway incorporating memorial bricks and flagstones leading to the memorial wall. There, a narrative plaque tells the story of the Great Famine and subsequent Irish emigration to the United States in bas relief. Memorial bricks and flagstones border an outline map depicting the two countries, Ireland and America. Twelve memorial benches along the walkway offer points at which to reflect on the stories and memories described in the relief wall and expressed within the numerous inscriptions.
- Hackensack, New Jersey has a large stone located on the front corner of the Bergen County Government Court House on Main Street, honoring all of those who perished in the famine. Every year in October, numerous Irish-American organizations from northern New Jersey hold a ceremony to remember all of those who perished.
- Rochester, New York has a black granite memorial on the grounds of St. John Fisher College erected in 1997, one hundred and fifty years after the worst of the hunger by the Ancient Order of Hibernians. There is a moving inscription on each side of the memorial and the family names that surround it at the base represent donors who participated in the project. The memorial is the site of remembrances held in concert with the international remembrance day often held in May of each year.
Ireland Park on Éireann Quay, Toronto
- Grosse-Île, Quebec, Canada, the largest famine grave site outside of Ireland. A large Celtic cross, erected by the Ancient Order of Hibernians, stands in remembrance overlooking the St. Lawrence River. The island is a Canadian national historic site.
- Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, 12-foot (3.7 m) limestone cross donated by the government of Ireland in 1997
- Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada, a large Celtic cross was built on Partridge Island, which was major quarantine station during the famine.
- Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada a Celtic cross was erected on the mainland in view of Hospital Island. The island was a quarantine station.
- Kingston, Ontario, Canada, has three monuments. Celtic cross at An Gorta Mor Park on the waterfront. Another is located at Skeleton (McBurney) Park (formerly Kingston Upper Cemetery). Angel of Resurrection monument, first dedicated in 1894 at St. Mary’s cemetery.
- Maidstone, Ontario, Canada, has a nine foot stone Celtic Cross at the cemetery outside St. Mary’s Church
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada, the “Boulder Stone” in Pointe-Saint-Charles
- Toronto, Ontario Four bronze statues arriving at the Toronto wharves, at Ireland Park on Bathurst Quay, modeled after the Dublin Departure Memorial. List of names of those who died of typhus in the Toronto fever sheds shortly after their arrival. Current memorial plaque at Metro Hall. Also a pieta statue outside St. Paul’s Catholic Basilica in memory of the famine victims and Bishop Michael Power, who died tending to the sick.
- Melbourne, Australia. In 1998 a memorial in the form of a Famine Rock with plaque was erected on the foreshore of Port Phillip at Williamstown. This was the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the first boat load of Irish Famine orphan girls.
- Sydney, Australia. The Australian Monument to the Great Irish Famine is located in the courtyard wall of the Hyde Park Barracks, Macquarie Street, Sydney. It symbolises the experiences of young Irishwomen fleeing the Great Irish Famine of 1845–1849, and was sculpted by Angela and Hossein Valamanesh.
Go to: wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_memorials_to_the_Great_Famine